This morning, the first results have been released from last years NI Census.
The key findings are:
- The total population inNorthern Irelandis now 1,810,900 an increase of 7% since the previous Census in 2001
- Ireland, as a whole, now has a total population of 6.4 million.
- Children up to the age of 15 have decreased by 9% although, interestingly, there is an increase of 10% in children up to the age of 3.
- The median age in NI has increased from 35 to 38 – The population is ageing.
- There has been a marked change in average household sizes with a trend towards smaller households. 58% are now households of 2 or less.
These are headline figures however and we must wait until September for more detailed information. It is difficult to extract more meaningful information until then such as geographic spread, demographic background and potential trends.